On Air Now Dave Phillips 10:00am - 3:00pm Email
Now Playing Riptide Vance Joy Download

BLUES MATCH REPORT: Blyth Spartans 0 - 2 Chester FC

Chester FC returned to winning ways, with a dominant display and a fully deserved three points, in the North East on Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Declan Weeks and Ollie Heywood – either side of half time – sealed the win but in truth, but for the heroics of Spartans ‘keeper Alex Mitchell, it could have been more.

Manager Calum McIntyre made three changes from the draw seven days ago with Scarborough. Alex Brown, Anthony Dudley and Adam Thomas all dropped to the bench – replaced in the team by Heywood, Iwan Murray and debutant Elliott Whitehouse.

The Yellows got off to a bright start, winning three corners in the first six minutes. From the last of those, the ball broke back into the box for Matty Williams, but his close range effort was deflected behind.

After 20 minutes the goalkeeper Mitchell was worked for Blyth for the first time, as Weeks freed Kurt Willoughby, but his powerful near post shot was beaten behind.

The positive play continued as a Weeks corner was met by Charlie Caton who saw his header deflected off the line and behind.

Chances continued for the Seals and Weeks was again involved, firing into the box after a one-two which saw Williams’ close range header brilliantly pushed away by Mitchell.

Moments later Mitchell managed to one-up even himself, a more incredible close range save to keep out Caton’s header from Weeks’ cross.

But the Blyth resistance was broken just before the interval. Caton was the architect, running at least 70 yards up the pitch and evading multiple challenges before Weeks rolled the loose ball home after the Shrewsbury loanees run was stopped by a foul in the box.

Weeks almost doubled his account moments after the break, tricking his way into the area before dragging a low shot just wide of the far post.

The Chester chances continued. Mitchell superbly tipped over from Lewis Earl’s close range header, before from the resulting corner Alex Kenyon’s headed attempt was cleared off the line.

And that second goal that looked so likely eventually arrived before the hour. Willoughby with excellent hold up play enabled Murray to release Heywood, who made no mistake from inside the box to make it two and score his maiden senior goal.

That cushion allowed the Yellows to take their foot off the gas slightly after a dominant hour display, but Blyth struggled to create many big opportunities to find a way back into the game despite seeing more of the ball.

They almost did half the deficit on 86 minutes when Will McGowan’s ball over the top set sub Michael Spellman through, but his effort was tame and straight at Harry Tyrer.

McIntyre’s men saw the final minutes out to progress to 70 points and strengthen their position in the top three.

CHESTER FC: Tyrer, Coates, Williams, Kenyon, Heywood, Earl, Weeks, Murray (Lynch 70), Whitehouse, Caton (Thomas 83), Willoughby (Dudley 90+2).

SUBS NOT USED: Brown, Edwards.

SCORERS: Weeks 44, Heywood 56.


You can watch the post-match interview with Blues Boss Calum McIntyre here...

More from Local News


Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.
Listen Live Listen