The festive period is quickly approaching… have you started your Christmas shopping?
If you are visiting the shops this Christmas, be careful how you leave your car:
· Do not leave valuables or shopping on display in your car.
· Close windows, sunroof, lock doors & activate security alarms when leaving your car.
· Park in a busy, well-lit area or secure car park if possible
- Visit http://www.parkmark.co.uk/for details of approved local car parks
· Take valuables with you when you leave your car, eg: cash, credit cards, mobile phones, sat nav systems etc.
· Avoid going back to your car to leave your shopping part-way through your trip.
· If you have no choice, make sure valuables and shopping are locked in the boot; taking care no-one is watching you.
· Do not leave your bag unattended on your trolley whilst loading your car.
If you are shopping online, then think about the following:
· Choosing where you shop: If you are making a purchase from a website or person you don’t know and trust, carry out some research first. Look online for reviews of the website or person you are buying from. If you are purchasing an item from an online marketplace, you can view the seller’s feedback history before going ahead with the purchase.
· Use websites with a https://www – This indicates that the site is secure.
· Payment method: Use a payment method that offers buyer protection, such as a credit card if you have one, as most major credit card providers will help you get your money back if the item is faulty or damaged, or if it never arrives.
· Staying secure online: Use a strong, separate password for your email account. Criminals can use your email to access other online accounts, such as those you use for online shopping. You should also enable two-factor authentication (2FA), where possible, which gives your online account additional protection by double checking that you really are the person you claim to be, when logging in.
For further information about how to stay secure online, visit: