On Air Now Daz Antrobus Noon - 6:00pm Email
Now Playing Take Care Of You Ella Henderson Download

BLUES MATCH REPORT: Chester FC 1 - 1 Alfreton Town

A dramatic late Anthony Dudley equaliser maintained Chester FC’s unbeaten streak.

A superb strike from Dayle Southwell put the visitors ahead but it took a 94th minute equaliser from sub Dudley to secure the Blues a point and extend their undefeated league run to 17 matches.

Calum McIntyre made two changes from the side that earned a point at league leaders AFC Fylde at the weekend as Kieran Coates and Liam Edwards returned to the starting line-up in place of Jamie Morgan and Harrison Burke.

The Blues created the opening chance of the game as Coates burst down the right side before playing it to Kurt Willoughby, he and Charlie Caton exchanged passes before the former fired too close to George Willis in the Alfreton goal.

Iwan Murray was next to go close for the hosts as he had a couple of chances. The first was from the edge of the area and was just wide before half the ground thought Chester led as Caton’s pass picked Murray out at the back post but his effort went the wrong side of the post.

The chances kept coming as Willoughby broke through the Alfreton defence and fired goalwards but Willis was able to gather at the second attempt.

Alfreton almost took the lead through a slice of good fortune as Kevin Roberts’ header looped over Harry Tyrer but Coates got back well to clear it off the line.

With five minutes to go until half time the visitors took the lead, the ball was fired forward to Rhead who chested it down for Southwell to fire crisply into the bottom corner and beyond the dive of Tyrer.

Chester almost found themselves level on the stroke of half time as Weeks’ corner was met by Caton but an Alfreton defender somehow got back to head the ball off the line and ensure the visitors lead at the break.

It was the visitors who forged the opening chance of the second half as Jordan Thewlis got in behind from a long throw-in and stung the fingers of Tyrer in the Chester goal.

Chances were at a premium as both team cancelled each other out and the visitors tried to slow the game, with referee David McNamara giving a series of fouls to prevent either side getting momentum.

Deep into stoppage time though the Blues found an equaliser.

Working the ball from the back, Alex Brown got space down the left side and cut the ball back to Dudley who fired beyond Willis to earn Chester a point.

CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Williams, Edwards, Brown, Roberts, Weeks, Hughes, Murray (Thomas 74), Caton (Dudley 55), Willoughby.

SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Stephenson, Heywood.

SCORERS: Dudley 90+4; Southwell 40.


Watch the post-match interview, with Blues Boss Calum McIntyre here...

More from Local News


Add a comment

Log in to the club or enter your details below.
Listen Live Listen